Wednesday, January 12, 2011
35 Things You Might Not Know About Me on my 35th
I am officially 35! Everyone keeps asking me if it was a "hard" b-day. When I look at all the blessings and experiences I have had in life, I am thankful for 35 amazing years. Since most of my posts are about my kids, I thought it might be fun one day for them (and maybe even you) to know some things about me that they might not have ever known. This will probably be terribly boring for most, so feel free to skip over. So here it goes. . .
1. I was involved in a class action lawsuit early in my career, and helped remove a terrible toxin from the work place. I almost did not come forward for fear of not being believed or losing my job. I am now proud of the decision I made, and will share the story with my kids one day when they fear going against the grain.
2. I am obsessed with Mexican food. I'm not sure if I just like the idea that chips and salsa are always free and you can have as much as you want, or if I just truly love the food. I mean, how many places serve free appetizers as soon as you sit down? Either way, if I am given the option I will choose Mexican 100% of the time. Just know this if you ask me to dinner.
3. I attended college 12 hours away from home, in a small town where I only knew 2 people. I was miserable my first few months, but ended up making friendships that forever changed my life and learned that wherever you go, you can find good people.
4. I once took a Western Civilization class in college and found it so terribly boring that I would follow the syllabus and only attend the class on quiz/test/exam days. Luckily, my professor did not take attendance and left lesson outlines in the library, so I ended up with a pretty good grade regardless of never really hearing a single lecture.
5. I was supposed to be named Paige. Then Mom and Dad decided that I looked much more like a Jill, and named me after one of their dear friends.
6. I do not drink milk, but will put it in cereal. I cannot drink something that still sticks the side of a glass when you are finished with it.
7. I have been a bridesmaid in about 8 weddings, and even served cake once.
8. I have always rooted for the underdog and was even know to have given away some of my prized possesions to a girl I attended middle school with who seemed to always go without. Although I am sure at times, my parents were less than thrilled that I gave alway expensive clothes, shoes and other belongings, especially to someone I barely knew, they never once got on to me.
9. I tend to order the exact same thing when I go to a restaurant. If I do go for something new, I always go with the very 1st thing that catches my eye, even if it's completely random for me.
10. I refuse to eat a piece of fish. I don't understand why people would want to eat something that smells bad and is slimy. Gross.
11. I would rather order a salty appetizer at dinner than a sweet dessert.
12. I am a fan of all things frozen: Coke Icee's, Frozen Coffee's, Slushies, Snowcones, you name it. I promise, I really am turning 35 and not 5!
13. I would much prefer a road trip to flying. I am a ball of nerves when I fly. I am that person you see wandering aimlessly through an airport with a worried look on her face trying to find her connecting flight, the bathroom or baggage claim.
14. My passport has stamps from: The Cayman Island, Jamaica, Aruba and Mexico. Not bad for someone who is a nervous flyer.
15. I hate waking up early in the morning, and if I didn't have kids would probably sleep until 10 or 11 a.m. Darn those kids. . . :)
16. I feel the need to have a 9 p.m. snack everynight. Regardless of if I am really hungry or not. I have NO IDEA why I cannot shed this extra weight I have been holding onto since having Caleb, no idea, nope none at all.
17. I love going to concerts and hearing live music. Be it a well known band or someone completely unknown. There is something so moving about music, and it is something I could not live without.
18. My favorite date night is The Movie Tavern with my hubby. Dinner and a movie at the same time. Heaven!
19. I had a dog named Gina, growing up, who saved my life by protecting me from a neighbors violent dog who jumped our fence. She almost lost her life in the process, but fought through and enjoyed many more good years.
20. I am not a fan of cats. They creep me out in the sense that they look like enlarged rats. I have always found it gross knowing that when a cat leaps up in your lap and playfully bats at your face with his paws, that those are the same paws that were just burying their poop in the liter box. I mean really, who wants that all over their face, pillow, couch?
21. I do not eat ham, however I will eat bacon and sausage. Why? Because regardless of how long you cook ham, it will still be pink, but when you cook bacon and sausage it turns brown. Totally different. My wonderful in-laws have since traded their traditional ham dinner on Christmas for beef tenderloin just for me. They are the best..and I'm pretty sure they like the new tradition as much as I do! :)
22. I know firsthand the heartbreak of miscarriage.
23. I am not your typical girl who loves to shop and spend money. I am much more of a saver and find it hard to part with money on big purchases.
24. I am as content eating at a food court at the mall or in Target as opposed to going out to a nice dinner.
25. As a child, I used to ride by bike in front of cars with a neighborhood friend, on purpose to freak them out. I was ratted out by Jack Hannah's wife Suzie, who lived a street away. I was grounded from bike riding privledges for a week . I know, totally ridiculous...the Suzie part of course. :)
26. Back in the day I enjoyed staying up late and hitting the town. Now, I much prefer a quiet evening home, in my pj's, with an early bedtime.
27. I would much rather drive than be the passenger.
28. I get very frustrated when I see a human being on the side of the road holding a sign promoting a sale for a store, that could be easily staked into the ground. I find it completely degrading.
29. I love to organize things. At least twice a year, I remove everything from our fridge/pantry to check expiration dates and to better organize. If I had to pick another profession, it would probably be a professional organizer.
30. I despise birds, yet married a Buzzard.
31. I pick up my house little by little all day long. While it would probably be better time management to do it once at the end of the day, I cannot stand a big mess.
32. I am a "pitcher". I live by the motto "if you don't use it, lose it!"
33. I love car rides. There is something very theraputic about a car ride for me. When I have had a day, I load up the kids in the car, pop in a movie, hand them a snack and just drive!
34. I could easily trade 3 meals a day for all day long snacking.
35. I am obsessed with capturing moments in time on my camera.....probably b/c it's the way you wish life always was, and I never want to forget the moment I am in, as I grow older.
Well, there you have it. 35 useless things, you probably didn't want to know about me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I loved it! I may have to steal that for my 35th bday this year...if I can find 35 things about me that people probably don't already know. Maybe I can start thinking of them now and write them down so I don't forget. I feel the same way about some of those...not a fan of cats at all, could eat mexican for every meal, used to could party late and now can't, not a big fan of flying either though am going to have to fly with all 3 kids in may for matt's graduation from the air national guard. Glad you had a good bday.
ReplyDeleteHolly- yes, steal it! It did take a while for me to come up with a list of things "most" people wouldn't know. Of course, my family probably didn't have any surprises. I started it a week early and would just add as I thought of them. Jeremy also helped me come up with some that I would't have thought of! :)
ReplyDeleteJill
ReplyDeleteNever knew we had so much in common especially the ham fact. I loved getting to know you better! Happy Birthday - sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday in person!
Tricia
For some reason I just saw this tonight...loved it. And learned a lot. We have some things in common :). Thanks so much for sharing...I've so enjoyed getting to know you better and this is just another way.
ReplyDelete(oh and love the blog background)