Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Our Journey to find the H1N1 vaccine

Years from now, I am sure I will forget all about the pandemic that is now occurring with H1N1 (aka Swine Flu). I will forget how controversial it was to vaccinate your child and the difficult decision it was to outweigh the possible risks with the reality of the flu hospitalizing those whose immune systems couldn't fight it off. Since I myself am high risk because I'm pregnant, I was strongly urged to get the vaccine. Since I am having a Winter baby, I decided that in an effort to shield him or her from this possibly deadly flu, that Mackenzie would also need to be vaccinated to lower our chances of passing it around the family. (At this time, the vaccine is not available to the public at large, but rather to target groups including pregnant women, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, healthcare and emergency medical services personnel, persons between the ages of 6 months and 24 years old, and people ages of 25 through 64 years of age who are at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems.) I just hope I made the right decision. In the end, sometimes you have to trust the advice of medical professionals and leave it in God's hands. Below is our journey.


Taking our place in line. . .



All bundled up and trying to stay warm. . .



Me and Laura feeling brave and a little nervous with our rambunctious 3 year olds. . .



Goofin' off in line with Joshua, they have NO idea what's coming. . .




Smiling in line with Mommy (this is where I start preparing her for the "pinch" she will feel in her arm). . .



Next in line. . .



I DID NOT photograph Mackenzie getting her vaccine (although I thought about it:). She did however do GREAT! She yelped in pain and cried for maybe 5 seconds and then said "I was really brave, huh?" After the promise of vanilla ice cream, she was as good as new!

Passed out from a long day. . .



Now let's just hope that she doesn't get the flu b/f the 2 weeks it takes for her antibody levels to reach protective levels. Next up. . . the booster shot (21-28 days from now). Let's hope it becomes available at our Pediatrician's office and we are not standing outside in the cold yet again! Although, I have to say, it was nice to have a good friend beside me during this scary process. Thanks Laura for inviting us to attend this clinic with you and providing us with good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.